Tuesday, April 1, 2014

My Yoga Lovin Mission!

I made the decision at the beginning of this year that I was going to get back into Yoga.  And so far it's been great!

                          

I'm currently practicing Yoga once a week for 30 minutes.  Why have I dedicated myself to this?  There are a few reasons!

1. A really, really good stretch!
Because I workout about 5 days a week, I know that a quick post workout stretch is NOT enoughfor my  muscles to rejuvenate and repair.

2. An Active Rest Day
Although on the days I do yoga I am not doing an intense workout, I am still pushing my body-it's just a different type of push.

3. Habit and Accountability
By making one day in my week "Yoga Day" I keep myself on schedule for my workouts.  I have something to look forward to that is a slower, more concentrated on breathing, relaxing and rejuvenating myself during the week.  I honestly look so, SO forward to Yoga Day! (Which is usually Wednesdays 😄)

4. Relaxation
Ok, honestly who doesn't need a little extra relaxation in their life?  That's what I get from yoga.  Focusing on deep breathing, clarity, peace and stretching refocuses me and allows me to relax no matter what is going on in my life.

Those are just a few reasons why I have incorporated yoga into my workouts.

So!  What are some health B E N E F I T S of Yoga?  Let me share!

“Yoga is a healing system of theory and practice. The purpose of yoga is to create strength, awareness and harmony in both the mind and body,” explains Natalie Nevins, DO, a board-certified osteopathic family physician and certified Kundalini Yoga instructor in Hollywood, Calif. “As an osteopathic physician, I focus a lot of my efforts on preventive medicine and practices, and in the body’s ability to heal itself. Yoga is a great tool for staying healthy because it is based on similar principles.” 

According to Dr. Nevins, some of the health benefits of practicing Yoga include:
  • Increased flexibility
  • Increased muscle strength and tone
  • Improved respiration, energy and vitality
  • The maintenance of a balanced metabolism
  • Weight reduction
  • Cardio and circulatory health
  • Improved athletic performance
  • Protection from injury
I personally love yoga for the stretching and relaxation that I gain from it, but these benefits are definitely a G R E A T reason to start your own practice!

Some recommended Yoga DVDs and programs:
-Denise Austen "Yoga Body Burn", available online and in stores like Target and Walmart
-Jillian Michaels "Yoga Meltdown", available online and in stores like Target and Walmart
-SuperSisters 30 Minute Yoga Routine, search "Go SuperSisters" on YouTube or Facebook

So there you have it - the reasons that I have incorporated Yoga into my life and why I think you should to!

Namaste!
xoxo,
 Corina

No comments:

Post a Comment