Monday, October 20, 2014

Clean Eating Recipe - Chicken Tortilla Soup

I know it's the end of October but I feel like Fall has finally arrived!!! Can we say that officially?!

This girl has busted out her sweaters, boots, & leggings - I am SO excited!! 



For me one of the best things about fall is honestly the food - chili, soup, pumpkin erethang! 
But let's be honest - for clean eaters those things can be a little dangerous!
These fall time eats are typically laden with salt, fat, cream and tons of sugar! 

So what's a Fall lovin' girl to do?!
My solution?
Take advantage of a crock pot and tasty, whole food ingredients!

Behold - Clean Eating Chicken Tortilla Soup!


Let's get to the How To!

Ingredients:
1 onion, chopped
2 (16 ounce) cans chili beans
1 cup whole kernel corn - I used frozen
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce or paste 
1 (16 ounce) container chicken broth 
1 (10 ounce) can green chilies 
1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning
3 whole skinless, boneless chicken breasts
Salt & Pepper to taste

Optional - Choose 1:
shredded Cheddar cheese (optional garnish after cooking)
greek yogurt or sour cream (optional garnish after cooking)
crushed tortilla chips (optional garnish after cooking)

Directions:
Cooking immediately:
Put all ingredients in Crock Pot, cook on high for 4 hours or low for 7-8 hours. Shred chicken once cooked through. 

Cooking from frozen:
Combine all ingredients into a Ziploc bag. Freeze. Thaw and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Shred chicken in crock pot once cooking is done (or use kitchen aide to shred). 

Serve with a side salad for a great dose of veggies OR topped with shredded Cheddar cheese, a dollop of greek yogurt (or sour cream), and/or crushed tortilla chips, if desired. Served approx. 5-6 people.

I freeze half of this soup in individual serving containers for a quick meal during a busy week! 

Serving Size:
-1 cup 

21 DAY FIX Serving Size: 
Measure 1G container and count as  1G, 1R, 1Y 
Make sure if you add greek yogurt and cheese you count those in addition!

My absolute favorite thing about this recipe is its Crock Pot friendliness! I threw this in the crock pot on Sunday night as my hubby and I snuck out for a quick dinner date together.  By the time we came home the soup was just about done!!


Soup for lunches & dinners prepped and a date?! Now that's a wifey win in my book! 

Can you feel the fall coziness?  Imagine eating this soup in front of a fire, wrapped in a blanket, surrouded by your family and friends! :) It smells like Fall to me!!!

xoxo,
Corina

P.S. If you try this recipe out for yourself let me know!  
Instagram - @ririluvsabs
Facebook - www.facebook.com/cmadfitness OR www.facebook.com/Madforfitness9 

No comments:

Post a Comment